Business Writing Center course graduates receive graduation certificates
This free lesson and the pre- and post-tests will teach you about active and passive voice.
|The pipeline was inspected and was found to have cracks at three joints. The decision was made to replace the three joints and a contractor was engaged. After the work was completed, the leaks stopped.|
|The foreman inspected the pipeline and discovered cracks at three joints. The plant maintenance manager decided to replace the three joints and had the contracting department engage a contractor. After the contractor completed the work, the leaks stopped.|
This sentence doesn't look like it has an actor, but the actor is "you understood," meaning we know that the subject is "you," even though we don't use "you" in the sentence. This is an example:
The "you" isn't in that sentence, but we know it means "You call the client about the meeting on Thursday." That is called "you understood," meaning we understand the actor is "you." As a result, it is in active voice.
The second way of writing an active sentence that may look like the sentence has no actor is when the sentence has two verbs with one subject. This is an example:
2. Errors were found in the self-audit, but steps have been taken to correct them.
3. If you have questions, I can be reached at 712 288-1144.
4. The current status report has been attached, and I have highlighted the important figures.
5. Not before the survey responses have been collected and tabulated will it be possible to know the opinions of our employees.
6. If most of the opinions expressed by the survey respondents are negative, then more research may be needed before we can proceed with the project.
7. The recommended guidelines for replacing equipment should be followed.
8. According to the customer service representative, reshipment of these items will be considered when the customer's need is determined by the company.
9. The participants were welcomed by Joyce Carmen, and the keynote speaker was introduced by her.
10. Two serious omissions of income were discovered and corrected before the accounting records were reviewed by the auditor.